What is mediastinal tumor?
Mediastinal tumors are growths that form in the mediastinum. This is an area in the middle of the chest between the lungs.
What are the types of mediastinal tumours ?
There are various type of tumor in the mediastinum a few of which are germ cell tumor ,lymphoma ,Thymoma, thymic cyst , thyroid mass, bronchogenic cyst ,Pericardial cyst ,Neurogenic tumor etc.
Who is affected by mediastinal tumors?
In general, mediastinal tumors are rare. Mediastinal tumors are usually diagnosed in patients aged 30 to 50 years, but they can develop at any age and form from any tissue that exists in or passes through the chest cavity.
What are the symptoms?
• Chest pain, Fever and chills ,Cough ,Coughing up blood (hemoptysis),Hoarseness,Night sweats and Shortness of breath
How to diagnose this disease ?
• Chest x-ray
• Computed tomography (CT) scan of the chest or CT-guided needle biopsy
• Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the chest
Treatment for mediastinal tumors depends on the type of tumor
• Thymic cancers are treated with surgery. It may be followed by radiation or chemotherapy, depending on the stage of the tumor and the success of the surgery.
• Germ cell tumors are usually treated with chemotherapy.
• For lymphomas, chemotherapy is the treatment of choice
• For neurogenic tumors , surgery is the main treatment.